|Labor Relations Representative U. S. Steel has an immediate opening for a Labor Relations Representative at its Fairfield, AL location. Labor Relations is a key function within our Employee Relations organization. The Labor Relations Representative will become familiar withand be able to interpret/implement the collective bargaining agreement for U. S. Steel’s represented workforce. The position is responsible for administering the labor agreement, counseling managers, and resolving complaints and grievances with union officials. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and maintaining productive business relationships with management and local union leadership. The Labor Relations Representative will become familiar with the concepts of contract negotiation, grievance handling, progressive discipline, arbitration preparation and local issue settlements. They will assist in productivity improvements, job combinations and incentive programs, all while learning and understanding the steel-making process.|
• Interpret the Basic Labor Agreement (BLA) and formulate local strategic positions
• Administer the grievance procedure: investigate, hold meetings with union officials, draft and maintain records
• Conduct research, analysis, and make appropriate application of arbitration precedent
• Negotiate settlements as appropriate, while enforcing corporate policies, practices, rules and regulations
• Ensure proper use of progressive discipline for represented employees, and ensure compliance with contracting out provisions
• Prepare and present cases for arbitration
• Act as primary on-site official contact/resource for all outside legal and litigation issues, internal investigations, and unemployment compensation claims
• Ensure compliance with all federal and state laws and regulatory agencies (OFCCP, EEOC)
• Counsel and train management on their rights and obligations, conduct investigations, and prepare detailed responses when required
• Conduct Labor and Overtime tracking, reporting, and analysis
• Direct labor relations organizational strategies by contributing information, analysis, and recommendations to strategic thinking and direction; establishing labor relations objectives in line with organization goals.
• Support management by reviewing disciplinary actions and performance management; recommending corrective and positive work climate actions; composing and editing documentation; interpreting policies and procedures; developing and presenting training programs.
• Assist Human Resources as needed
• Bachelor’s Degree in Labor Relations, Human Resources, or a closely related field is required
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Proficiency in MS Office and database management is essential
• Strong attention to detail and accurate data entry skills with the ability to recognize discrepancies
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
• Willingness to meet aggressive deadlines
|• JD or Master’s in Labor Relations|
• Experience in a unionized manufacturing environment
• Industrial experience and union contract experience
If interested, please apply at https://www.ussteel.com/careers/careers-in-steel. (if you cannot click right click and open link in another tab, copy and paste into your browser).