Standing with Families Project Manager – Position Announcement
Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham seeks to hire a Standing with Families Project Manager who has
proven project management, organizational, and administrative skills with a passion and a
capacity for service to improve opportunities for those with the greatest need.
Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham (VLB) is a corps of attorney volunteers coordinated by a
professional staff driven to improve access to justice. VLB is the only non-profit in the state of
Alabama that provides immediate access to free high-quality attorneys so low-income families
can obtain critically needed legal services.
The Project Manager will perform a number of critical duties by:
- Evaluating current conditions, history, and legal and social service needs of each family
in the program.
- Assisting in creating stability and safety for families in the program .
- Being a super user of VLB’s client management system to facilitate efficient check-in of
clients and obtaining necessary eligibility, case, and reporting information.
- Leveraging VLB’s client management system to monitor cases and identify potential
volunteer attorneys for pro bono assistance of clients.
- Writing accurate and compelling case summaries to market cases to potential attorney
volunteers for acceptance.
- Developing and facilitating a referral network of social service agencies where clients can
obtain wrap-around services in addition to legal assistance.
- Monitoring and proactively contact attorneys who have accepted extended
representation cases on a regular basis to provide assistance and support.
- Leveraging the client management system to facilitate successful outcomes.
- Continually seeking ways to improve by benchmarking to other programs and building
relationships with other nonprofits with similar goals.
Highly Qualified Candidates Will:
- Believe authentically in VLB’s work of providing access to free high-quality attorneys.
- Have social work or other experience working with underserved families or populations.
- Work proactively and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Operate with a mindset of learning, listening, and achieving goals.
Key Competencies & Skills
- Stellar writing skills and keen sense of newsworthiness.
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external partners to coordinate and oversee the
collection of compelling case summaries.
- Ability to work independently and make appropriate decisions with limited direction.
- Strategic thinking, planning and problem-solving.
- Self-motivation, innovation, creativity, and patience.
- Sense of adventure and ability to adapt to dynamic situations.
- Planning and organizational skills, including project and time management.
- Strong attention to detail, with the ability to delegate assignments.
Education, Job Knowledge & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or a related field.
- At least three years’ full-time, professional work experience with significant
- Team orientation, ambition, and a strong work ethic.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suites (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Comfort in juggling multiple projects, with minimal supervision, and under tight
- Access to a car, possession of a valid driver’s license, and proof of current automobile
- Complete and pass all background checks and security clearances.
- $30K – $50K – based on qualifications, experience, and ongoing superior performance
- Health and dental insurance provided by the organization; matching retirement
contributions and vision coverage also available
- Vacation, sick time, and generous paid holiday schedule
Expression of Interest
To apply, submit your cover letter, salary expectations, and resume to HR@VLBHAM.ORG
with “Project Manager” in the subject line. To ensure your resume is considered, PLEASE
follow the submission process. And PLEASE – no direct emails or phone calls to Volunteer
Lawyers Birmingham staff.
We are focused on the mission – to provide immediate access to high-quality attorneys so lowincome
families can obtain critically needed legal services!! Thank you.