Woodlawn Legal Coordinator – Position Announcement
Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham seeks to hire a Woodlawn Legal Coordinator who
has proven project management, organizational, and administrative skills with a
passion and a capacity for service to improve opportunities for those with the greatest
Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham (VLB) is a corps of attorney volunteers coordinated
by a professional staff driven to improve access to justice. VLB is the only non-profit
in the state of Alabama that provides immediate access to free high-quality attorneys
so low-income families can obtain critically needed legal services.
The Woodlawn Legal Coordinator will perform a number of critical duties by:
*Recruiting clients by reaching out and establishing relationships with
community- based groups, schools, neighborhood associations, and businesses
in and around the Woodlawn area.
*Representing the VLB at various community events, meetings, and media
* Creating and maintaining a quarterly report for funders that will track among
▪ The number of families serviced through the Woodlawn Help Desk
▪ The types of cases seen at the Woodlawn Help Desk
▪ The demographics of the families served
▪ Other social services received
▪ Outcomes of cases
* Being a super user of VLB’s client management system to facilitate efficient
check-in of clients and obtaining necessary eligibility, case, and reporting
* Leveraging VLB’s client management system to monitor cases and identify
potential volunteer attorneys for pro bono assistance of clients.
* Writing accurate and compelling case summaries to market cases to potential
attorney volunteers for acceptance.
* Developing and facilitating a referral network of social service agencies where
clients can obtain wrap-around services in addition to legal assistance.
* Monitoring and proactively contact attorneys who have accepted extended
representation cases on a regular basis to provide assistance and support.
* Leveraging the client management system to facilitate successful outcomes.
* Continually seeking ways to improve by benchmarking to other programs and
building relationships with other nonprofits with similar goals.
Highly Qualified Candidates Will:
* Believe authentically in VLB’s work of providing access to free high-quality
* Have social work, paralegal, or other experience working with underserved
*Work proactively and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
* Operate with a mindset of learning, listening, and achieving goals.
Key Competencies & Skills
* Stellar writing skills and keen sense of newsworthiness.
* Ability to collaborate with internal and external partners to coordinate and
oversee the collection of compelling case summaries.
* Ability to work independently and make appropriate decisions with limited
* Strategic thinking, planning and problem-solving.
* Self-motivation, innovation, creativity, and patience.
* Sense of adventure and ability to adapt to dynamic situations.
* Planning and organizational skills, including project and time management.
* Strong attention to detail, with the ability to delegate assignments.
Education, Job Knowledge & Experience Requirements
* Bachelor’s degree in social work, be a paralegal, or a related field.
* At least three years’ full-time, professional work experience with significant
* Team orientation, ambition, and a strong work ethic.
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Suites (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
* Comfort in juggling multiple projects, with minimal supervision, and under
* Access to a car, possession of a valid driver’s license, and proof of current
* Complete and pass all background checks and security clearances.
* $30K – $50K – based on qualifications, experience, and ongoing superior
* Health and dental insurance provided by the organization; matching retirement
contributions and vision coverage also available
* Vacation, sick time, and generous paid holiday schedule
Expression of Interest
To apply, submit your cover letter, salary expectations, and resume to
HR@VLBHAM.ORG with “Woodlawn” in the subject line.
To ensure your resume is considered, PLEASE follow the submission process. And
PLEASE – no direct emails or phone calls to Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham staff.
We are focused on the mission – to provide immediate access to high-quality
attorneys so low-income families can obtain critically needed legal services!! Thank